© Gästeinformation Benediktbeuern © Gästeinformation Benediktbeuern © Gästeinformation Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern © Kloster Benediktbeuern


This form is a provisional working version. Kindly refer to the German version for the complete text.

Name of Monument:

Benedictine Abbey of St. Benedict

Location:

Benediktbeuern, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Date:

1669–1673: convent and choir building; 1682–1686: nave of the abbey church; 1695–1731: arcaded courtyard; 1708–1716: economy building; 1722–1725: archive and library building; 1750–1758: chapel of St. Anastasia

Artists:

Architect of the convent and of the choir building: Marx Schinnagl (1612–1681); architect of the abbey church, stuccowork in the convent and choir: Kaspar Feichtmayr d.Ä. (1639–1704); stuccowork in the abbey church: Giovanni Nicolò Perti and Prospero Brenno (d. 1699), Franz Edmund Doll (1744–1824); ceiling frescoes in the abbey church: Hans Georg Asam (1649–1711); architect of the arcaded courtyard and library building: Friar Michael Ötschmann OSB (1670–1755); stuccowork and frescoes in the library and Fürstentrakt: Johann Baptist (1680–1758) and Johann Joseph (1707–1743) Zimmermann; architect of the economy building: Father Christoph Vogt OSB (1648–1725); architect of the chapel of St. Anastasia: Johann Michael Fischer (1692–1766); stuccowork and high altar in the chapel of St. Anastasia: Johann Michael Feichtmayr (1696–1772); ceiling frescoes in the chapel of St. Anastasia: Johann Jakob Zeiller (1710–1783)

Description:

Monastery complex in the transitory style between Early and High Baroque; the abbey church is remarkable for its voluminous stuccoes and an early fresco cycle by Georg Asam initialising the Bavarian tradition of ceiling painting; the chapel of St. Anastacia is an intimous architecture designed by Johann Michael Fischer with a ceiling fresco by Johann Jakob Zeiller from Tyrol and an altar piece by Jacopo Amigoni from Venice; the ceremony hall harbours an emblematic cycle of ceiling paintings.

Citation of this web page:

"Benedictine Abbey of St. Benedict" in "Discover Baroque Art", Museum With No Frontiers, 2017. http://www.discoverbaroqueart.org/database_item.php?id=monument;BAR;de;Mon12;19;en

MWNF Working Number: DE3 19

RELATED CONTENT

 Timeline for this item


On display in


Download

As PDF (including images) As Word (text only)