Photograph: Veronika Skálová
© Moravská galerie v Brně
Carthusian Monastery and the Church of The Holy Trinity, Brno-Královo Pole
Brno, Moravia, Czech Republic
Religious – Monastery
Ondřej Schweigl (1735–1812, Brno), Franz Anton Maulbertsch (1724 Langenargen am Bodensee – 1796 Vienna), Felix Ivo Leicher (1727 Bílovec – 1812 Vienna), Josef Stern (1716 Graz – 1775 Brno), Martin Johann Schmidt (Kremser-Schmidt), Bartolomeus Zindtner, Mořic Grimm (1669 Achdorf – 1757 Brno), Giacomo Antonio Corbellini
This monastery, the only preserved Carthusian complex in Moravia, was founded by a Moravian margrave. The order was dedicated to asceticism and contemplation and leading artists from the Vienna Academy participated in its Baroque reconstruction. Prior A. Gottfried was a renowned art collector and exponent of the Enlightenment in Brno. The interior is adorned with frescos featuring revelations: angels as God’s messengers in mystical scenes from the Old and New Testaments. The monastery was dissolved in 1782 as part of religious reforms undertaken by Joseph II.
Historical Cross Referencing