Augustinian Canons’ Convent of the Holy Saviour / Convent of Augustinian Canons
Polling, Upper Bavaria, Germany
1605–1611: construction of the church tower; 1621–1626: Counter-Reformation re-design of the church; 1761–1765: partial renovation of the church interior including the relic chapel; 1755–1779: construction and furnishing of the library hall
Ecclesiastical architecture (monastery)
Design for remodeling and interior decoration of the collegiate church: Hans Krumpper (1570–1634); stucco: Georg (“Jörg”) Schmuzer (c. 1565–1645); altar sculpture: Bartholomäus Steinle (1580–1628/29); tabernacle: Johann Baptist Straub (1704–1784); ceiling paintings in the relic chapel and library: Johann Baptist Baader (1717–1780); altar wall and stucco in the relic chapel and stucco in the library: Thassilo Zöpf (1723–1807)
The church of the former Augustinian Canons in Polling, essentially a building of the Late-Gothic hall-type, served at the same time as a pilgrimage destination for the so-called Pollinger Kreuz (the Polling Cross). Significantly decorated with the important Early Baroque stuccowork of the Wessobrunn master Georg Schmuzer, it also contains a magnificent Rococo tabernacle by Johann Baptist Straub. Artistically notable 18th-century rooms include the attractive relic chapel with its intimate Rococo furnishings as well as the monastery library, whose ceiling frescos depict Enlightenment thought.
Historical Cross Referencing
Historical and Artistic Introduction