Church of São Roque
Second half of the 16th century
Religious architecture, church
Architects: Afonso Álvares (active 1566–1577), Filipe Térzi (active 1576), Baltazar Álvares (active 1577), Luigi Vanvitelli (1700–1773), Niccolò Salvi (1697–1751); wood carvering: José Rodrigues Ramalho (1660–1721), Matias Rodrigues de Carvalho (18th century), Bento da Fonseca de Azevedo (18th century); mosaics: Mattia Moretti (active 1730–1760), Enrico Enuo (18th century); stonemasons: Leonardo Jorge [n.d.], Gregório Luís [n.d.], Silvestre Jorge (1560–1601), Manuel Antunes [n.d.], João Teixeira [n.d.]; painters: Gaspar Dias (active 1584); Francisco Venegas (active 1588–1589); Bento Coelho da Silveira (1648–1708); Amaro do Vale (active 1602); André Reinoso (active 1619–1635); Domingos da Cunha known as "Cabrinha" (active 1630); João Gresbante (active 1630–1640); Avelar Rebelo (active 1635–1640); Inácio de Oliveira Bernardes (1685–1781); Agostino Masucci (d. 1779), Joaquim Manuel da Rocha (1727–1786); Manuel José Gonçalves (18th century); Miguel António do Amaral (18th century); André Gonçalves (1685–1762); Francisco Vieira de Matos (known as Vieira Lusitano 1699–1783); tile painter: Francisco de Matos (active 1584)
The church, a simple and sober construction in the Mannerist style, complies with the doctrines of the Society of Jesus. The interior comprises a nave and eight side chapels, which were decorated between the second half of the 16th century and the first half of the 18th century. A keynote feature is the amazing contrast between the Mannerist style and the more elaborate decoration of the Baroque period. The main façade of the church is very sober. A triangular pediment with an eye-window completes the top of the façade as a result of some works that were partially undertaken after the earthquake of 1755, and again at the beginning of the 20th century. The painted ceiling of the church, dating to the 16th and 17th centuries, is also notable. Lastly, in the sacristy, there is a large chest of drawers from the 17th century. On its wooden backboard are 20 paintings relating to the Life of St. Francis Xavier.
Historical Cross Referencing
Historical and Artistic Introduction