Photograph: Manuel Ribeiro
© Paróquia de S.Pedro de Évora
Chapel of Bones in the Old Convent of St. Francis, Évora
Capela dos Ossos
Basic structure: around 1515; decoration: 17th–18th century
Religious architecture (funerary chapel)
A room with a quadrangular plan, square columns and a vaulted ceiling, located next to the old Chapter Room in the Convent of St. Francis in Évora. From the 17th century onwards the room was decorated completely – on the columns, vaults and walls – with bones in a fashion similar to “shell-work”.
Historical Cross Referencing