Photograph: Casa do Corpo Santo, Câmara Municipal de Setúbal
© Câmara Municipal de Setúbal
House of the Holy Body (Museum of Baroque)
Casa do Corpo Santo
1714 (first palace from XVII century)
Palatial architecture (with Chapel)
Architect unknown. Tiles signed by “P.M.P.” probably the signature of the Tile-Painting Master Padre Manuel Pereira (Father Manuel Pereira) whose dates are unknown.
Casa do Corpo Santo is a fine example of Baroque architecture, covered with azulejos (tile panels) thought to have been painted by the Tile-Painting Master P.M.P. The brick floor aligns with the figuratively painted azulejos, which are complemented by the painted ceiling and, in the small chapel, gold-leaf carvings that enhance the shrines inserted within the walls. The monument is an excellent example of space management during the Baroque era.
Copyright images: Casa do Corpo Santo, Câmara Municipal de Setúbal.
Historical Cross Referencing
Historical and Artistic Introduction