Church and Convent of Madre de Deus
Architect: Diogo de Torralva (1551–n.d.); painters: Marcos da Cruz [n.d.], Bento Coelho da Silveira (1648–1708), André Gonçalves (1685–1762); tile painters: Jan van Oort [n.d.], Willem van der Kloet [n.d.], Gabriel del Barco (1649–c.1703); woodcarver: Félix Adauto da Cunha (1649–c.1703); terracotta figures in crib: António Ferreira [n.d.]
Built between 1509 and 1517, the Church and Convent of Madre de Deus were both expanded gradually, mainly during the Baroque era. Contained within this monumental structure are azulejos (tile panels) depicting scenes from the Life of St. Francis, oil paintings with religious subjects framed with gilded and carved wood, gilt carved wood altarpieces with sculptures and a pulpit.
Copyright images "DDF/IMC,IP": Divisão de Documentação Fotográfica/Instituto Museus e da Conservação,IP.
Historical Cross Referencing
Historical and Artistic Introduction