Photograph: José Guedes da Silva e António Pacheco
© Dir.Reg.Cult./Governo Regional Açores
Church and Convent of S. Gonçalo
Recolhimento de S. Gonçalo
Angra do Heroísmo, Portugal
17th and 18th centuries
Architects and carvers: local unknown masters; azulejos attributed to Teotónio dos Santos [n.d.]; painting attributed to the workshop of Bento Coelho da Silveira (1648–1708)
The single nave church has two overlapping choirs, separated from the church by an oval frame, which is beautifully outlined with Baroque gilded wood carvings in the “National” style. Corresponding to the so-called Golden Church model, the decorative scheme is completed with azulejos and oil paintings from the late 17th and early 18th centuries. The main altarpiece belongs to the Rococo period. The convent includes two cloisters, the southern one dating from the 16th century and the northern one built in the following century.
Copyright images: Direcção Regional da Cultura/Governo Regional dos Açores.
Historical Cross Referencing