City Museum

Brno, Czech Republic

The Brno City Museum was established in 1904. Since 1960, the museum has been seated in Špilberk Castle, the Baroque fortress known as the “Dungeon of the nations”. The permanent exhibition presents casemates that were part of the Baroque fortress system converted into the civil prison during the reign of Emperor Joseph II. On display are the collections of historic weapons, watches, glass, porcelain, furniture, fashion accessories, vedute, paintings and sculptures. The most important collection presents the prominent Late-Baroque Moravian sculptor, Ondřej Schweigl’s (1735–1812) life and work, and its association with Brno.

Address(es)
Špilberk 1
662 24 Brno
Czech Republic

T +420 542 123 611
F +420 542 123 613
muzeum.brno@spilberk.cz

www.spilberk.cz

Assistant Director, Curator of Early European Art
PhDr. Jana Svobodová
T +420 542 123 637
F +420 542 123 613
svobodova@spilberk.cz